[Ws2-hr] "Applicable Law": Human Rights Law and dualist States - ICANN's obligations under California law

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Tue Jan 24 10:47:19 UTC 2017

Esteemed colleagues

THe UNK Supreme Court has today issued its reasoned judgment in the case
of Miller & Santos -v- The Secretary of State for Exiting the EU.

As was entirely foreseeable, the Brexit Department lost their appeal,
and comprehensively.

Not immediately relevant to this group's deliberations you might think?

The reasoned judgment (which, released by the Court just over an hour or
so ago, you may find at

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2016-0196-judgment.pdf)

is a brilliant exercise in setting out the UK's unwritten constitution
and the interplay of treaties (such as the EU Treaty, the EU Charter of
Fundamental Rights, and -- by implication - the various (non-EU) Human
Rights instruments such as the 1950 Convention, and several other
international human rights instruments to which the UK, and the US, have
ratified).

Whilst it will be amusing and engaging to see the legal Gordan knot that
the Prime Minister must untangle (and, I suspect, not the last) I would
draw your attention to the background as set out in the judgment which
clearly sts out the points I've been making about human rights law that
is 'applicable' only to nation states, and binding only in international
law, not domestic law.

At paragraph 52, their Lordships write:

"The first is that treaties between sovereign states have effect in
international law and are not governed by the domestic law of any state.
As Lord Kingsdown expressed it in Secretary of State in Council of India
v Kamachee Boye Sahaba (1859) 13 Moo PCC 22, 75, treaties are “governed
by other laws than those which municipal courts administer”.

The second proposition is that, although they are binding [on the United
Kingdom] in international law, treaties are not part of [UK] law and
give rise to no legal rights or obligations in domestic law."

This approach does NOT apply to 'monist' countries.

But it applies equally to the US (which, although having a written
Constitution, is a dualist state in exactly the same way that the UK is).

Therefore, in my submission,

= either the ICANN Human Rights by-law is a nullity and the entire
by-law is otiose (as I warned at the time!), or

= the approach to applicable law set out by ICM Registry -v- ICANN (ICDR
Case No. 50 117 T 00224 08), accessible at
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/-panel-declaration-19feb10-en.pdf
(in particular contained in paras 104 et seq)

applies to the newly minted by-law.

Which is it?