[Ws2-hr] "Applicable Law": Human Rights Law and dualist States - ICANN's obligations under California law

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Wed Jan 25 21:15:52 UTC 2017

Thank you Nigel,

An interesting development in the drama playing out over the Brexit issue.

I cannot commit to read the entire Supreme Court Judgment or the IRP case (ICM Registry) at present and so my comments here, my personal opinions, are hardly a legal review.

I did go to some language from the case - the background that you alluded to - and came away thinking differently about human rights law and domestic law.

First, in paragraph 55, where the court says, "treaties are not part of UK law and give rise to no legal rights or obligations in domestic law" I would probably agree if trained at UK law. But treaties often do give rise to domestic legislation activating such rights/obligations under domestic law. That happens in US and probably elsewhere.

Recall that the bylaw requires ICANN to respect certain human rights - not treaties. And human rights get embedded in legislation from time to time - that is the point, as I recall, of Sidley's advice on the subject.

So I don't agree that human rights are not applicable under domestic law, and I would be surprised if certain human rights were not protected under UK domestic law.

With respect to the ICM Registry matter at IRP, I took a look a while back when you first mentioned it and went back just now to look at part of the decision - the applicable law part starting at paragraph 137. It seems to me that the panel said that ICANN's obligation, as the panel saw it, to act in conformance with principles of international law followed from ICANN's stated intentions. ICANN and the community just restated ICANN's intentions in new bylaws and this time expressly addressed respect for human rights. It seems to me this newly stated intention now drives this discussion.

Moreover, the panel said the parties differences on international law was not material to its decision - good faith was, a principle not only applicable in international law but also, importantly, in California corporate law.

I therefore remain of the view that the bylaw as written in Section 1.2(b)(viii) is meaningful and not a nullity, including the terms "internationally recognized" and "as required by applicable law."

David

David McAuley
International Policy Manager
Verisign Inc.