[Ws2-hr] "Applicable Law": Human Rights Law and dualist States - ICANN's obligations under California law

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 00:00:33 UTC 2017

The issue of whether human rights treaties apply in the US without any
implementing legislation is largely a red herring.  There are numerous
Human Rights laws in the US, at both the Federal and state level.

In the US, Federal Human Rights Laws include, without limitation:

   - Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended
   <https://ohr.dc.gov/external-link/title-vii-civil-rights-act-1964-amended>
   - Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
   <https://ohr.dc.gov/external-link/americans-disabilities-act-1990>
   - Age Discrimination in Employment Act
   <https://ohr.dc.gov/external-link/age-discrimination-employment-act>
   - Equal Pay Act <https://ohr.dc.gov/external-link/equal-pay-act>
   - Pregnancy Discrimination Act
   <https://ohr.dc.gov/external-link/pregnancy-discrimination-act>

In addition, many portions of the US Constitution and particularly the
"Bill of Rights" (i.e., the first 10 amendments) protect human rights.

Here's a page with discussion and links relating to both California law and
Federal law protecting human rights:
https://oag.ca.gov/civil/lawleg#federalLaws

Also this: https://oag.ca.gov/civil

California passed a landmark human rights law in 2015 that extended the
ability to make claims for human rights abuses, among other things:
https://www.justsecurity.org/26619/california-human-rights-legislation/

Here's a Wikipedia entry on another California human rights law, the Unruh
Act: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unruh_Civil_Rights_Act

If you have 90 minutes, you can watch this webinar from the California
Department of Human Resources: "Overview of Civil Rights Laws in the
Workplace": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNK1bIHE3HY

Here's an interesting scholarly paper on using international human rights
instruments in state courts:
https://opportunityagenda.org/files/Human_Rights_in_State_Court.pdf (copy
attached) Red herring or not, this discusses how treaties have actually
been invoked effectively in state court litigation.

Here's a blog called "Human Rights at Home," which covers US human rights
laws and issues (as well as some international human rights issues):
http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/human_rights/

Here's a white paper from the Human Rights Institute at Columbia Law School
(my alma mater) on using human rights treaties at the state and local
level.  It also has a good, if slightly self-flagellating, summary
discussion of human rights in the US, at the beginning of the document:
https://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/microsites/human-rights-institute/files/Bringing%20Human%20Rights%20Home.pdf
(and attached).

As an aside, I would also note that California is one of the leading states
(if not the leading  US state) with regard to state legislation protecting
human rights.  So, if you wanted to choose an applicable state law in the
US from which to derive human rights protections, you could scarcely do
better than California.  Among other things, California has a law
specifically protecting the human right to water; here's an implementation
framework for that law:
http://www.ushrnetwork.org/resources-media/human-right-water-bill-california

I could go on, but I think it's sufficient to demonstrate that state and
federal laws applicable to ICANN include many laws protecting human rights.

The one thing I haven't found in the bit of searching I have done, is a
comprehensive resource ("one stop shopping," if you will) for federal and
state human rights laws, whether generally or applicable to California
(although the second link above comes close on the latter front).  If there
are any eager law students look for a note topic, or professors looking for
an article topic, that might be an interesting one (if I am in fact right
that no such resource yet exists; I have hardly plumbed the depths....)

Best regards,

Greg