[Ws2-hr] "Applicable Law": Human Rights Law and dualist States - ICANN's obligations under California law

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 06:05:10 UTC 2017

If I understand the point correctly,  national (or state) laws that protect
human rights are not human rights laws; in particular, national (or state)
laws that protect human rights from being violated by people, corporations
or other non-state entities are not human rights laws; that national and
state laws adopted to comply with human rights treaties and conventions are
not human rights laws; that the only actual human rights laws are not laws
at all, but treaties, conventions and other such instruments; that if a
person, corporation or other non-state entity ensures that it upholds and
is guided by such national (or state) laws it is not respecting human
rights; and that the only way a person, corporation or other non-state
entity can respect human rights is by voluntarily adhering to treaties,
conventions and other instruments that do not in fact apply to such person,
corporation or other non-state entity.

These seems to me to be very crabbed and peculiar definitions of both human
rights laws and of respecting human rights.

I think the proper (and simpler, and more logical) way to view this is that
laws that protect human rights are human rights laws, and that this
certainly includes laws that protect persons, etc. from the actions of
other persons, etc., and that this includes national and state laws adopted
to comply with human rights treaties and conventions.  Also, that a
corporation can respect human rights by respecting these laws and seeking
to uphold and be guided by them.  This also has the advantage of being
consistent with the thinking that underpins the Bylaw.  (As an aside, I
think that those who passed those laws, and enforce those laws, and write
about those laws would be surprised (to say the least) to find they are not
human rights laws....)

I should also point out that the obligations of a non-profit public benefit
corporation (like ICANN) are very different from a for-profit corporation,
which (arguably) is only obligated to its owners/shareholders, or a mutual
benefit corporation, which (unless otherwise specified) is only obligated
to its members.  As a public benefit corporation, ICANN has obligations in
the public interest.  This is readily apparent by looking at the Articles
and at the Bylaws (in particular, the Mission, Commitments and Core
Values), as well as the California Corporations Code as it applies to
public benefit non-profits (not to mention the Attorney General's rules
regarding same).  It's an apples and oranges comparison, and a critical
distinction.

Speaking of Core Values -- the Core Values need to be adhered to (with the
appropriate balancing of Core Values when they all can't be adhered to
perfectly), and they inform the interpretation and implementation of
Commitments, and with them, the Mission.  Before the Bylaw, Human Rights
was not part of the Core Value equation, and it was not expressly part of
the larger equation that is invoked when ICANN deliberates, decides and
acts.  Now Human Rights is there, and expressly there, and attention must
be paid. And that is significant.

Best regards,

Greg