[Ws2-hr] Picking up the thread

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Jul 7 22:08:05 UTC 2017

On 24 Jun 2017, at 7:28 AM, Niels ten Oever <lists at nielstenoever.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I hope this email finds you all very well. This is just a small reminder
> that the public comment period for the FoI has ended and the responses
> can be found here:
>
> https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/comments-foi-hr-05may17/2017q2/thread.html
>
> I trust ICANN staff will summarize the comments soon so we can discuss
> them in our group and see whether we need to make amendments.

Niels -

If the subgroup should have the opportunity to make amendments, it might
be worth changing the following sentence –

"The ASO does not have a similar formal PDP to the ccNSO and the GNSO."

since it is not strictly correct – the ASO has a formal global number policy
development process, which may be found here:
<https://aso.icann.org/global-policies/global-policy-development-process/ <https://aso.icann.org/global-policies/global-policy-development-process/>>

The suggestion that follows (“Nonetheless, ASO should also consider how
to apply the Human Rights Core Value.”) is not necessarily impacted by this
correction, and one possible change that may maintain fidelity to the original
intent would be to replace these two sentences with one that reads –

"The ASO Global Policy Development Process relies upon consideration of
matters within each individual RIR policy fora; nonetheless, the ASO should
consider how the Human Rights Core Value is reflected in their global number
policy development efforts.”

(I am certain there are other equally fine formulations for resolution and suggest
this simply as one possible example.)

Thanks!
/John

Disclaimers: my views alone - Accountability CCWG WS2 individual participant