[Ws2-hr] Fwd: Input from SSAC to the WG on Human Rights

Paul Twomey paul.twomey at argopacific.com
Mon Mar 13 14:32:32 UTC 2017

Dear Niels

I note the SSAC report.   I worry again that its recommendation language
calling for a Human Rights Impact Assessment,

Microsoft Word -
SAC0XX_SSAC_Input_to_CCWG-Acc_WS2_Human_Rights_v1.1-CLEAN.docx

"A Human Rights Impact Assessment4 is a process for systematically
identifying, predicting and responding to the potential human rights
impacts of business operations, policies, or agreements."

has the possible consequence of inadvertantly trying to impose human
rights tests on agreements in the IANA function, especially as they may
apply to agreements (written or explicit) with ccTLD operators.   As I
have said consistently in this process, this could be extremely damaging
on the operations and global acceptance of the IANA function.   Hence my
concern about certain sections of the Ruggie Principles being applied to
ICANN - ICANN does not have the luxury of choosing which parts of the
world it may or may not serve.

First and foremost, the first right of humans we need to protect is
having access to an Internet that is global and operates 7x24.

Best

Paul

On 3/13/17 9:12 AM, Niels ten Oever wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Please find attached the letter we received from SSAC.
>
> All the best,
>
> Niels

Dr Paul Twomey
Managing Director