[Ws2-hr] Impact assessment of the draft human rights FOI

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Mon Sep 11 17:19:08 UTC 2017

Hi Markus,

In evaluating responses to the RFP, I think there are two very important considerations for the Board:

1.       First, in accordance with the FOI –  it will be very important for the HRIA to distinguish between those recommendations which are governed by “applicable law” and those recommendations which will be made that are not required by applicable law.  If this distinction is not made, the Board opens itself up to claims of Human Rights violations.  The HRIA itself could become evidence in such a proceeding.   This risk should be addressed proactively by the Board.  Traditional HRIAs do not make this distinction, one that is clearly set forth in discussion of Core Values.

2.       The second consideration  is the need for the HRIA to include a draft proposal to the community as enumerated in the “Considerations” document.  (See text below.)  It appears  as though such a requirement may not have been specifically  listed in the RFP for the HRIA.  Accordingly, the Board should require delivery of a proposed framework to be provided to the community.  This is an issue of stewardship of funds to be paid by ICANN for the HRIA as well as respect for the uniqueness of the MultiStakeholder model.    Samples provided to potential suppliers appear to come from organizations (whether for profit or non-profit) which operate in the traditional  realm of top-down decision-making.  Again, most HRIAs do NOT include an element of crafting a draft proposal to be shared with the “community” for input as required by the new Core Value Considerations.  This element of deliverables needs  to be addressed by the Board.

[cid:image001.png at 01D32AE5.BC571F60]

Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel