[Ws2-jurisdiction] Proposed Additional Question

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 02:13:26 UTC 2016

Erich, Nigel and all,

"International law" gets us into a bit of a morass.  First, we need to
define what is meant by "international law."  "International law" is often
used to mean the laws that governs relations between states; this is
sometimes called "public international law."  Public international law (or
international public law) concerns the treaty relationships between the
nations and persons which are considered the subjects of international law.
Norms of international law have their source in either: custom, or
customary international law (consistent state practice accompanied by
opinio juris), globally accepted standards of behavior (peremptory norms
known as jus cogens or ius cogens), or codifications contained in
conventional agreements, generally termed treaties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_law#Public_international_law.
Public
international law issues can include the law of treaties, international
responsibility, State succession, State and diplomatic immunities, the law
of international organizations, international investment law, international
human rights law, the law of the sea and international trade law.
https://www.clearygottlieb.com/practice-landing/public-international-law

"Private international law," by contrast typically refers to relations
between private entities.  One definition is: Private International Law is
the legal framework composed of conventions, protocols, model laws, legal
guides, uniform documents, case law, practice and custom, as well as other
documents and instruments, which regulate relationships between individuals
in an international context.
http://www.oas.org/dil/private_international_law.htm  On the other hand
"private international law" is sometimes defined as being the same as
"conflict of laws" -- dealing with situations about which law applies to
disputes between private parties of different nations and/or where there
are contacts with other nations and/or courts.

The relationship between international law and the tasks of this subgroup
is not entirely clear, at least not to me, and I tend to think a reference
to international law would further muddle this question.  But we should be
open to some further discussion on the matter.

Greg