[Ws2-jurisdiction] Pool.com case summary

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Apr 4 10:14:10 UTC 2017

On Monday 03 April 2017 07:57 PM, Paul Rosenzweig wrote:

> Why would you say that Seun – it is what the lawyers for ICANN argued,
> but there is no evidence that the Canadian court agree to that
> submission.  I would expect ICANN’s lawyers to make that argument and
> I would also expect based on what little I know of Canadian law that
> in the end the court would have rejected the argument.

It is absolutely significant that

(1) In the only documented case which went before a non US court, ICANN
promptly contested the court's jurisdiction. This is fact was its
primary argument as far as I can see from the case details.

(2) In none of more than 20 other documents cases, all in US courts,
ICANN ever contested -- in the slightest --  the court's jurisdiction
over ICANN or the matter under consideration.

It clearly shows that everyone --  ICANN, US courts, in fact even all of
us -- know what is what vis a vis the  absolute jurisdictional powers of
US over ICANN, and thus over its policies and their implementation, and
very feeble jurisdictional leeway (and even lesser enforcement capacity)
that non US courts and other state agencies have over ICANN.

We are simply wasting out time trying to minutely examine facts that are
fairly well established and normally not contested.

As you agreed with me in a way, lets come to the crux of the matter, and
see what is this group really trying to do, what progress we are making
or not making, what is the prognosis of possible outcomes, and so on....

IMHO we are just making ourselves believe that we are doing something in
this group, when in fact we are not doing anything at all.

/*Sub-group chairs,*/

Kavouss had put the matter to the CCWG chairs of the email I wrote about
the non progress of this groups work. CCWG chair seem to have ordered
the matter to be addressed by the sub group. Are you going to take up
that matter?

Also note that Paul too agreed with me that we seem not to be going
anywhere (or some such, I do not want to put words in his mouth, his
email of a few days back may be read)

Thanks, parminder