[Ws2-jurisdiction] Employ Media LLC case summary

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Wed Apr 19 06:30:34 UTC 2017

I'd like to make the following submissions.

1. Non-proprietary formats

Not everyone uses Microsoft Windows. I would request that ICANN and the
community respect this, by please avoid proprietary formats such as .DOC
or .DOCX in favour of standard formats such as PDF. Furthermore
.DOC/DOCX are a security risk as they are susceptible to macroviruses.

2. On the content, it is important to note that the claims of estoppel
and/or laches (which were not adjudicated in this case) do not form part
of contract law.

In fact they are not legal doctrines at all in the strict sense of the
meaning he words 'law' and 'legal' in common-law jurisdictions. They are
part of Equity, which although in most places (I think Virginia was the
last) are adjudicated in the same courts, is a separate system of law,
deriving from medieval religious law.

So far, so irrelevant.

But what is very definitely not irrelevant is that equitable rules are
not enforceable in the same way as legal rules.

They are discretionary.

I cam across this quote from Hegel

“Equity involves a departure from formal rights owing to moral or other
considerations and is concerned primarily with the content of the
lawsuit. A court of equity, however, comes to mean a court which decides
in a single case without insisting on the formalities if a legal process
or, in particular, on the objective evidence which the letter of the law
may require. Further, it decides on the merits of the single case as a
unique one, not with a view to disposing of it in such a way as to
create a binding legal precedent for the future."

Of course 'discretion' does not mean freedom to act arbitrarily. But
what does this mean for jurisdiction?

There has been much discussion in the UDRP process about whether
estoppel in particular can be relied upon. Whilst much of this is
inconclusive, I would suggest that anyone who wishes to rely on estoppel
should file in court, not IRP.

And finally, this discussion is on a Claim of equitable principles in an
IRP which was not found necessary to be decided upon.

It's a thin gruel on which to base a discussion of jurisidictional
principle in my view.