[Ws2-jurisdiction] RES: ISSUE - unilateral jurisdiction of one country over ICANN

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Aug 20 06:42:21 UTC 2017

Nigel

Your principal contention is that ICANN's own governance processes are
(by your account, pathetically) inadequate to ensure against rogue
behaviour. And yes you have been consistent in making this argument.

That surprises me coming for an ICANN insider. One would well ask, why
when a UN body, OECD, WIPO, WTO, and many non profits enjoying
immunities like I have given examples of can resist becoming rogue cant
ICANN too do so? Is all the charade of an unprecedented and exemplary
multistakeholder mode of governance of ICANN really not working, neither
is it workable? And when you guys were presented with the option of a
more accountable membership based model you guys rejected it last year.
Why so?

If ICANN's own governance structures are not adequate and proper, work
on them, rather than working against, like in rejecting the membership
model. Dont seek tutelage of undemocratic powers. If indeed you cant
work without oversight, lets devise a good democratic method of
oversight which is representative of the whole world, and not just that
already most powerful of the countries, the US. No, this is hegemony,
this is abject surrender and subjection. This is no way to conduct a
global political discourse. Goes back to the nice old adage: you cant
have your cake and eat it -- celebrate ICANN as a world beating
governance model, and also claim, no it is not adequate to stop ICANN
from going rogue, and needs parental control. Choose your side!

Parminder

PS: BTW, I dont really understand the below case study you often hint
at.. It seems that the company went broke bec it could not bring a suit
against ICANN, did not have the resources etc to do so... But then, I
dont see what has changed now, and how would it be any better now.
Please do be very clear what case are you making.