[Ws2-jurisdiction] ISSUE - unilateral jurisdiction of one country over ICANN

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Wed Aug 23 08:09:22 UTC 2017

Erich

I must correct a serious misconception here.   The State does not simply
"get to decide who runs its ccTLD". That is a simplistic and inaccurate
view. (The State is however, a very important participant).

Historically, Jon Postel decided.  And the delegation was made under
international private law (the same system of law that ICANN operates
under).

The State was not involved, either legally, or, at that time, was even
interested, unless it was one of the small number of countries that
applied to Jon Postel for the two letter code that matched the ISO-3166
list.

In 1994, Jon Postel and several others codified existing policy (such as
previous RFCs), and current considerations into the policy document that
is now the basis of all ccTLD delegations.

It is accepted as such by (most) ccTLDs including most ccTLDs that
existed prior to 1994.

In that document (RFC 1594), which has been extensively analysed and
construed by a WG of the ccNSO including ICANN staff and GAC
representatives, the views of "significantly interested parties" are
important in delegation decisions.

And since the sovereign is quite obviously a Significant Interested
Party, this is explicitly noted in the FoI.

Other SIPs would have to show why they are are significantly interested
in delegation decisions; for the State, it's automatic that they are a SIP.

Inded,there may be more than one governmental SIP in some countries' and
territories' situations.

IANA now fully follows RFC1594 and its agreed interpretation.

For more information about the FoI, which the ICANN Board have formally
adopted, please see

https://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/charter-foiwg-07jun11-en.pdf

To read the FoI itself, see
https://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/foi-final-07oct14-en.pdf

I would note that any proposal that ICANN act in a way that does not
comply with RFC 1994 or the construction (which as said, was arrived at
with the participation of different parties, including GAC) would
probably cause signficant consitituional issues for ICANN in an area
that is now settled.

It could be seen as one part of ICANN seeking to override the
subsidiarity principle and encroach on the specific constitution of
another part.