[Ws2-jurisdiction] ISSUE: In rem Jurisdiction over ccTLDs

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Wed Aug 23 20:03:47 UTC 2017

Agree on all 4 points and the conclusion

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050
Washington, DC 20004
202-559-8597/Direct
202-559-8750/Fax
202-255-6172/Cell

Twitter: @VLawDC

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 23, 2017, at 1:06 PM, Paul Rosenzweig <paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com<mailto:paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com>> wrote:

Dear Farzaneh

Regarding the question of precedent – it depends what  you mean 😊.  The US court system is mostly geographically based.  As a result the only court that can bind the entire court system of the nation is the US Supreme Court.  As a matter of pure law, the decision in the .IR case, which was handed down by a court of appeals in the District of Columbia (i.e. the US capitol – Washington) is binding, mandatory precedent ONLY here in Washington DC.  That having been said:

  1.  Since the US government is here in Washington, many important and precedent setting cases (like this one) are decided in Washington and then the rest of the country’s courts tend to follow the lead of the DC court – not because they are legally required to do so, but because in our system it is rare (not unheard of, but rare) for courts outside Washington to purposefully set up a conflict with the DC court.
  2.  This is especially so because the court in Washington is considered by most to be the second most important and influential court in the country, after the US Supreme Court.  So much so that 3 of the current Justices (there are 9 total) were first judges in the DC court.
  3.  It is also likely to be followed outside of DC because it is actually the “right” decision (to the extent anything in law is ever “right”).  There was no disagreement in DC – 3 judges all voted the same way (and affirmed a 4th lower court judge who came to the same answer through a different argument).
  4.  Finally, note that in cases like this, the lawyers only get paid if they win.  Having lost the .IR case so decisively, it is unlikely that many lawyers will want to waste time and money trying again.

I think ICANN won a significant victory in the .IR case that will be very, very likely to hold up in the long run.  At least that is what I would advise a client if they asked me.

Cheers
Paul

Paul Rosenzweig
paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com<mailto:paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com>