[Ws2-jurisdiction] ISSUE: In rem Jurisdiction over ccTLDs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Aug 24 02:28:35 UTC 2017

Thanks Jorge. Very interesting and relevant information. Importantly,
also speaks to DN as property question, with clear legal codification in
this regard.

These domain seizures are no less an important issue than OFAC, and
cannot simply not be addressed by this group. And it has been argued
from practically the first day in this group, but has been completely
neglected.

What such seizures actually become are wholly inappropriate means of
extension of US law globally. This has been done most till now for
enforcement of extremely stringent US intellectual property laws
globally, but can be done for other things. What it creates is a
chilling effect, entities, including business, begin to make sure that
they work within US laws, even when they may not have US as a main or
significant place for doing business, or even not at all. This of course
is wholly inappropriate, and to repeat, makes DNS an illegal weapon for
global domination and control by the US.

It must be noted that domain names have been seized even in cases where
a business had no US based end. This is a case of seizure by US gov of
domain name of a Spanish travel company selling Cuban trips to a British
citizen, though with embargo related intentions.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2008/03/us-interferes-with-travel-to-cuba/

US has made, or arranged for, property seizures in areas other than DNS,
especially wrt trade in generic drugs, even when the business was being
carried out between non US parties and never touching US territory.

I dont see how can this group simply ignore this most significant issue.

And I also see no case-by-case remedy for it. Only general immunity
under the IOI Act, with the required negative list of exceptions, can
address it.

parminder