[Ws2-jurisdiction] Issue: Domain seizures by US executive agencies like US customs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Aug 30 11:44:19 UTC 2017

On Monday 28 August 2017 01:11 PM, Nigel Roberts wrote:
> Parminder
>
> Nothing is "obvious".
>
> You are making a submission, and you have offer us no actual authority
> for this, other than analogy.

Would you strength the security of your house on the "analogy" that
there has been a burglary in the neighbourhood, or should you want for
proven instance of someone breaking into your house before you do so......

> What you say is *possible*. But it's not CERTAIN, or even probable.

Like is is not certain that your house wil be burgled , and on any given
day the probability also in fact is pretty low...

> The only authority we have for this, which is Weinsteain, on appeal,
> seems to indicate that courts, equally likely would prevent the
> seizure of TLDs, on public policy grounds.

The court took up jurisdiction, and also accepted to treat gtld as
sieze-able property, these are the two most important facts of the case.
On balance of interests involved, and respective harms and benefits, it
decided in a certain manner given certain contingent conditions. Other
set of conditions could provide the opposite order, possible of ordering
seizure, given that the powers to do so have been asserted.

> And there is a significant distinction here between ccTLDs and gTLDs.

Yes, and so?

> So, please, let us not try and build scaffolding when the sky is not
> falling.

It is not falling on your world and interests and they are currently
organised, it is falling on other people's. Participation in public
policy processes require a sense of justice and fairness for all ...
parminder