[Ws2-jurisdiction] [EXTERNAL] Re: Issue: US's courts' judicial writ over all aspects of ICANN

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Aug 30 11:53:58 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 29 August 2017 12:19 AM, Burr, Becky via Ws2-jurisdiction wrote:
> I don’t think that ICANN’s decision to comply with applicable law – in
> the US or in any country in which it operates – is the product of a
> chilling effect.

Yes, it is general acceptance of law, if not the fear of it.... When the
law is illegitimate, as when one country's law is applicable wrongly to
a global gov process, the same, otherwise legitimate fear of law, is
called "chilling effect". Both legitimate fear of law and chilling
effect do the same thing, it stops certain behaviour and encourages others.

>  Can you give an example where you believe ICANN has refrained
> from the "legitimate exercise of natural and legal rights by the
> threat of legal sanction”?

The whole meaning of chilling effect is that is it generalised, not
obvious and apparent, but strongly there. For instance, can you provide
me an instance of when a person "did not" undertake certain road
behaviour because of existence of traffic laws... Such negatives are
difficult to instantiate, and are supposed to be inferred...

parminder