[Ws2-jurisdiction] Domain names 'located' within the US

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sun Jun 4 06:55:05 UTC 2017

Parminder

I feel this continued flagellation of deceased members of the genus
Equus is getting somewhat repetitive.

But I'll give this another shot, for the sheer fun of it.

The courts of ANY other country in which ICANN would or should be
iincorporated would have exactly the same superior and exclusive rights
in theory.

It may be so (that just as an example) Swiss law, and jurisdiction might
have been more acceptable as ICANN's seat to many countries which are
antipathetic to the United States.  I fact I argued for Switzerland
during the IFWP, so you can be assured I have been conscious of this
issue for over 20 years.

But complaining that ICANN is subject to US courts is just a "two legs
bad, four legs good" comparison.

The essential factors are a mature jurisdiction in a country that runs
on the Rule of Law.

As you know, we are where we are because of a number of historical
factors, including where Saint Jon lived and worked, and (in my mildly
cynical view) clever manoeuvres by certain key players back in 1998. (Hi
Becky!).

But ICANN would have to have been incorporated SOMEWHERE.

There is no way round this, unless you set your face (as I get the
impression you may have done) against the whole concept of
multistakeholder management of internet names and numbers, and propose
that ICANN should exist as a multilateral organisation, such as the
United Nations.

Those of use who have spent several decades advocating for
multistakeholderism would, respectfully, hold a different view.

Nigel