[Ws2-jurisdiction] Jurisdiction Questionnaire response analysis: Ministry of Telecom and Mass Communications of the Russian Federation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jun 4 10:37:12 UTC 2017

Dear Tatiana

Thanks for your analysis, which is very useful.

Allow me to comment on the last para about your opinion on the proposed
solutions in Russian Federation's response.  I quote your email

    "As to the alternative jurisdiction solutions: again, it is up to
    the group to continue the discussion and I think that as this issue
    being constantly raise we will have to come to it at some point if
    we realise that there are some serious risks coming from ICANN being
    incorporated in the US. However, I would like to note - as my
    personal opinion - that some of the proposed solutions very likely
    either do not meet the transition requirement (governance by
    international treaties) or probably impossible - e.g. If I am not
    mistaken the jurisdictional immunities under the US law could be
    given only to the international organisation, which, in turn,
    doesn’t fit the transition requirements. "

First about jurisdictional immunity.

It is not true that US law allows immunity only to such organisations
which are registered under international law. The relevant law, US
International Organisations Immunities Act , has provided jurisdictional
immunity to organisations registered as non profits under US law.
International Fertilizer and Development Centre is one such US
registered non profit that has been provided jurisdictional immunity, a
fact which has been pointed out in an ICANN commissioned study on the
jurisdiction issue (
https://archive.icann.org/en/psc/corell-24aug06.html ). Pl allow me to
note that this fact has been brought to the notice of this group several
times.

Therefore, there is no problem in ICANN getting jurisdictional immunity
under the mentioned Act even as it continues to be a US non profit. In
light of this fact, I would like to know your views about the
desirability of seeking such jurisdictional immunity for ICANN.

Now, for your observation "do not meet the transition requirement
(governance by international treaties)".

I see no mention of jurisdiction issue in transition requirements. You
can point me to it if I have missed it.

You perhaps refer to this part of the original NTIA notice on IANA
transition; "NTIA will not accept a proposal that replaces the NTIA role
with a government-led or an inter-governmental organization solution."

Oversight of IANA, which was with NTIA, is quite different from
jurisdiction over IANA and ICANN which was and remains of the US state.

No one is suggesting replacing the now lapsed NTIA oversight role with
that of a gov or inter-gov organisation.

What is being proposed is replacement of US jurisdiction (which remains,
and US state is certainly a government) with international jurisdiction.
One governmental thing with another...

regards

parminder