[Ws2-jurisdiction] Question Presented

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Thu Jun 8 19:12:32 UTC 2017

Hi Greg

Per our discussion on the call today, I would suggest a slight amendment to this strawman proposal.  My take is that, as Avri suggested, the Subgroup should continue its work on the basis of an assumption that the jurisdiction of incorporation will remain unchanged and that our report to the Plenary will state that as an assumption (rather than, as David has suggested (and I would support) as a conclusion or recommendation).  This will enable us to work forward on real issues of accountability effects arising from incorporation and move past the endless recircling we are doing.

The practical consequences of this choice would be to confine our discussion in two ways.  When a potential issue that effects accountability is raised (e.g. OFAC or in rem) it would not be a response to say “well, we are stuck with that because we are in California” but it would also no longer be a suitable response to say “we can eliminate that problem by moving to XXX”  Our work would, as I understand it, focus on the question of “can that problem be mitigated by the application of other aspects of California/US/contractual law” (that is law that assumes that incorporation is unchanged but, for example, admits of the possibility that ICANN might be able to contract around some problems).  I would support this approach, as did a majority of those on the call (maybe even everyone).

Thus I would reformulate your submission to the Plenary as a report of what we have determined as the way forward – namely to assume that the place of incorporation will not change, but to make explicit the premise that our assumption is without prejudice to the issue being raised in some other broader forum.

Cheers

Paul

Paul Rosenzweig

paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com <mailto:paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com>