[Ws2-jurisdiction] Fwd: [CCWG-ACCT] Caption Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for Jurisdiction Meeting #35 - 14 June 2017

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 21:27:51 UTC 2017

Jurisdiction Subgroup Members,

As noted below, after two full meetings devoted to the topic, the Subgroup
arrived at a decision (excerpted verbatim from the transcript in the email
below).  For convenience, here it is again:

We have concluded that the Jurisdiction sub-group will take California
jurisdiction as a base line for all its recommendations, and that the
sub-team not pursue recommendations to change ICANN's jurisdiction of
incorporation, location of headquarters or seek immunity for ICANN.  With
this decision we are recognizing that there is no possibility that there
would be consensus for an immunity based concept or a change of place of
incorporation.  As such I would establish in the minutes of this call that
we focus on the solution that gets most traction.  Recognizing that this
does not eliminate, as I think Avri said during last week's call, that we
can discuss all issues that might arise during the deliberations.  But that
we actually focus on the status quo being California law and place of
incorporation. and work on solutions that are founded on this.

Opposition was noted from four participants on the call (including one who
left before the end, but had made his position clear.

This decision will now be referred to the Plenary, consistent with CCWG
procedures.

With this, I believe that it is imperative that we return to and focus on
identifying potential issues, deciding whether these are in fact issues
within our remit, discussing those issues and making recommendations for
resolving those issues.

Greg