[Ws2-jurisdiction] RES: RES: Agenda for Jurisdiction Subgroup Meeting 20 June at 19:00 UTC

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Thu Jun 22 20:05:35 UTC 2017

Milton is right, with one small caveat.

*NEW* ccTLD delegations are governed by ICANN-developed policies. Or
rather they would be, if we weren't still operating on pre-ICANN
developed policy (for ASCII strings).

Delegations before ICANN existed cannot be *governed* by anything of
ICANN's in a strict sense.

But the vast majority of ccTLDs abide by the existing consensus, simply
becuase it's sensible. (NB: there are one or two, government or
royal-controlled ones that don't accept the consensus view, but they are
outliers).

If a public authority wishes to formally control, or nationalise a ccTLD
operator, it may, subject to the rule of law (if the country is a
_rechtstaat), do so by virtue of the simple requirement (which predates
ICANN) that there be an administative presence in the country concerned.

The statement that the relevant government(s) is or are the ultimate
authority on matters of public policy in respect of ccTLDs is, of
course, simply trite law, since they are the fount of authority in ALL
matters of public policy in that country.