[Ws2-jurisdiction] Partial immunity

Thomas Rickert thomas at rickert.net
Thu Jun 22 21:28:24 UTC 2017

Dear all,
As previously mentioned, we will address the issue of the procedural decision the co-chairs took during our meeting at ICANN59 in detail.

However, given the ongoing debate on the list, let me please offer a clarification on one aspect of what I said and, more importantly, what was not said.

The co-chairs established that

1. Relocalization of ICANN to another jurisdiction and
2. Making ICANN an immune organization

were suggestions that did not get sufficient traction to be further pursued.

I did not speak to the question of partial immunity.

Please note that this clarification is in no way intended to be understood as an endorsement of the concept of partial or relative immunity, but I thought it was necessary to go on the record on this aspect.

Thanks and kind regards,
Thomas