[Ws2-jurisdiction] Agenda and Master List of Proposed Issues for Upcoming Jurisdiction Subgroup Meeting at 13:00 UTC 30 August 2017

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sun Sep 3 23:38:40 UTC 2017

Greg

I find it quite strange that this subgroup appears to be discussing what
the ccNSO should be doing (or not).

It's a fundamental of the relationship between ccTLDs (and ICANN) that
ICANN cannot interfere in ccTLD policy or impose policy on ccTLDs.

Subsidiarity applies - that is to say ccTLD policy is developed at local
level by we, the ccTLDs ourselves.

Only in a very small set of, well defined circumstances may ICANN policy
apply to ccTLDs, and then only to those ccTLDs that are members of the
ccNSO, and only whilst they remain a member. This is the susbtance of
the 2003 Montreal Agreement.

It's only a happy co-incidence that Jordan and I are members of this WG
and can engange.   I would caution this group to take no actions that
might be construed as presuming upon the delicate balance between ICANN
and ccTLDs.

Imposing sweeping and untested solutions to hypothetical problems on
ccTLDs from outside will not, I suspect, be that well received, and in
particular the suggestion that our forthcoming ccNSO PDP be coupled with
immunity for ICANN.

Nigel Roberts