[Ws2-jurisdiction] [EXTERNAL] issues on applicable law

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Wed Sep 13 15:25:29 UTC 2017

We can't avoid inconsistency altogether if there is more than one
jurisdiction involved.  Almost by definition, with more than one
jurisdiction available the risk of inconsistency and uncertainty is
heightened.

At the other end of the spectrum is a world with 190+ jurisdictions.  In
that context the risk of inconsistency is at its maximum.

I personally have no concerns about the use of California law exclusively.
Others in the community, however, do have those concerns.  A menu option
with a few regional choices seems to answer those concerns without a huge
increase in the risk of inconsistency -- especially if it is accompanied by
an urge toward uniformity in areas where uniformity is most essential (like
operational issues).

It is an imperfect solution -- offered in the spirit of compromise, not as a
canonically correct exposition of principle.

Paul

Paul Rosenzweig
paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
O: +1 (202) 547-0660