[Ws2-jurisdiction] OFAC Rec.s

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 20:10:45 UTC 2017

I suggest we do not get into interpreting EU sanctions. That is a whole
separate issue and far beyond our mandate here.

We have argued over this many times and came to a very good conclusion.
When I asked that ICANN should deter the registrars from following OFAC
when they do not have to Sam and others said that ICANN should not get
involved with the registrars' internal policy especially when it
contradicts with their local laws (I am paraphrasing not quoting them). So
we came up with a very good language for ICANN to follow, it is in the doc:

"ICANN needs to bring awareness of these issues to registrars. ICANN should
clarify to registrars that the mere existence of their RAA with ICANN does
not cause them to be required to comply with OFAC sanctions. ICANN should
also explore various tools to remind registrars to understand the
applicable laws under which they operate and to accurately reflect those
laws in their customer relationships."

This language is sufficient for ICANN. If some non-US based registrar
sanction Iranians not because of the registrar's contract with ICANN, it is
out of our hands to do something about it. We have a general recommendation
which fits the purpose. Why are we opening this discussion again?

I am sympathetic to this issue. One reason is that I was born and raised in
Iran. So if Iranians cannot become resellers or registrants at all because
of some registrars policies then I will do whatever I can to persuade those
registrars to change their policy (if not against the applicable law), but
this is not an issue to be discussed at ICANN and this group.

Farzaneh