[Ws2-jurisdiction] RES: Proposed Final OFAC Recommendation for Plenary

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 22:47:11 UTC 2017

Thiago,

I see a number of concerns with these proposed changes.

The first sentence is a statement of fact.  You have edited this statement
of fact so that it is only "recognized" by "several participant."  As a
statement of fact, it is inappropriate to preface it with "Several
participants of the Subgroup recognize..."  Either the sentence could be
left as is, or it could be cut down to read "Many countries impose
sanctions regimes and cooperate in the creation and enforcement of
sanctions." However, the purpose of the footnote is to help explain why we
are *not* dealing with non-US sanctions regimes in this Report (while
recognizing this could be germane in the future). "The Subgroup recognizes"
is a way of saying "Yeah, we know about this, but we're not dealing with
this...." Without this intro, the intent of the paragraph is less clear.

I must say I am quite surprised you think only "several participants" in
the Subgroup "recognize" that "many countries impose sanctions regimes and
cooperate in the creation and enforcement of sanctions." It follows from
this that you think that the rest of the Subgroup does not recognize that "many
countries impose sanctions regimes and cooperate in the creation and
enforcement of sanctions."

Perhaps I have a higher opinion of the Subgroup, but I would surprised to
find out anyone in the subgroup sincerely does not recognize that "many
countries impose sanctions regimes and cooperate in the creation and
enforcement of sanctions." Thus, I strongly believe that the proposed
change would introduce a false statement into the Report, and thus it would
not be appropriate to make this change for that reason as well.

In contrast with the statement of fact discussed above, the new text you
suggest is a statement of opinions -- or more precisely, a series of
opinions, admittedly held by only "several participants." As you know, this
Recommendation will be part of the Subgroup's Report, which is essentially
a consensus document (although not likely to be a full consensus document).
As such, statements about the views of only "several participants" should
not be in the Report.

Best regards,

Greg