[Ws2-so_ac] updated draft report and new table for the Work Stream 2 project on SOAC Accountability

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Thu Aug 25 12:18:39 UTC 2016

On Aug 25, 2016, at 5:56 AM, farzaneh badii <farzaneh.badii at gmail.com> wrote:

> <CCWGWS2projectonSOACAccountability-reportv1.docx>

Unfortunately, I cannot make this morning’s teleconference.  I will note that the “reportv1”
document completely omits any mention of scope of the SO_AC accountability work with
regards to being limited to within the scope of the SO/AC activities within ICANN.  Some
SO’s (e.g. the ASO) have definition and existence external to ICANN, and are comprised of
formal member-based bodies with clear and legally defined accountability to their members,
and thus the scope of an ICANN-related accountability review must be with respect to the
ICANN-related activities that the SO undertakes.   This has been raised several times,
including by the ASO representatives to this working group, and remains absent from
the document.

It would be helpful if this could be discussed, since it is a fundamental matter which
left unresolved could significantly affect the structure and relationships of our Internet
identifier ecosystem.

Thanks,
/John

Disclaimer: my views alone.