[Ws2-so_ac] Business Constituency (BC) response to SO/AC Accountability Questions

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Tue Dec 13 19:45:47 UTC 2016

Attached is the first response of the Business Constituency (BC) to the SO/AC accountability questions circulated on 4-Nov.  After the SO/AC group begins to analyze responses, we may offer additional responses in areas where more information is needed.

Note that the response describes BC charter and procedures, so we are not taking any positions or making any normative comment with this submission.

Steve DelBianco
Vice Chair for Policy Coordination
ICANN Business Constituency

Questions to address:
1. What is your interpretation of the designated community defined in the Bylaws?  For example, do you view your designated community more broadly or narrowly than the Bylaws definition?
2. What are the published policies and procedures by which your AC/SO is accountable to the designated community that you serve?
2a. Your policies and efforts in outreach to individuals and organizations in your designated community who do not yet participate in your AC/SO.
2b. Your policies and procedures to determine whether individuals or organizations are eligible to participate in your meetings, discussions, working groups, elections, and approval of policies and positions.
2c. Transparency mechanisms for your AC/SO deliberations, decisions and elections
2d. Were these policies and procedures updated over the past decade? If so, could you clarify if they were updated to respond to specific community requests/concerns?
3. Mechanisms for challenging or appealing elections.   Does your AC/SO have mechanisms by which your members can challenge or appeal decisions and elections? Please include link where they can be consulted.
4. Any unwritten policies related to accountability. Does your AC/SO maintain unwritten policies that are relevant to this exercise? If so, please describe as specifically as you are able.