[Ws2-so_ac] FOR REVIEW: Draft report on Mutual Accountability Roundtable and IRP applicability

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Tue Dec 13 22:43:34 UTC 2016

Hi all

On this topic of the MAR, just a couple of thoughts.

I don't really have a view about the forum etc - using existing groups of
people makes sense where possible.

What I am interested in tho is the conversation, and who can participate.

- a conversation where different SOs and ACs, the ICANN Board and the ICANN
Organisation can ask each other questions about performance, success etc
isn't quite sharing best practice, because the purpose is different.
Sharing best practice is about sharing ideas and lessons. A performance or
accountability discussion leads to different questions - it's about the
various parts of the ICANN family supporting each other's development by
e.g. asking questions that are too hard to ask internally, or those that
come from a different perspective.  If that isn't explicit, then people
don't have "permission" to ask that sort of question. And my experience of
ICANN generally is that the various silos aren't that interested in hearing
what others think of them (just my experience - yours may differ).

- the proposal was for a public discussion. The SO/AC leadership is
anything but that, and to do its function needs to not be a public forum.

So to me a viable way to meet those needs would be an occasional open SO/AC
discussion online with that specific agenda item.

Otherwise I think the possibility and promise of the MAR will be lost.

Thanks for your consideration.

Jordan

On 12 December 2016 at 15:50, Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco at netchoice.org>
wrote:

> For our next SOAC Accountability call, please review the latest from Sub
> Team 2, who are drafting our Report to the CCWG.
>
> The attached draft report draws from our previous documents and
> discussions, and narrows our work to 3 tracks:
>
> Track 1. Review and develop recommendations to improve SO and AC processes
> for accountability, transparency, and participation that are helpful to
> prevent capture.  [yet to be drafted, since we are awaiting SOAC responses
> to our questionnaire]
>

> Track 2.  Evaluate the proposed “Mutual Accountability Roundtable” to
> assess its viability and, if viable, undertake the necessary actions to
> implement it.  The preliminary conclusion in the attached doc is on page 4:
>

> We conclude that the Mutual Accountability Roundtable as originally
> described is more of a transparency exercise where best practices may be
> shared.  While this exercise is viable, we do not recommend it for formal
> implementation.
>
> SO and AC chairs have a standing email list and may convene calls and
> meetings at any time. That creates an appropriate and adequate forum for
> sharing of experiences and best practices on accountability to their
> respective stakeholders.
>

> Track 3. Assess whether the Independent Review Process (IRP) should be
> applied to SO & AC activities.
> The preliminary conclusion in the attached doc is on page 5:
>

> The IRP would not be applicable to SO & AC activities, as the IRP is
> currently described in Bylaws.
> While the IRP could be made applicable by amending bylaws significantly, the
> IRP should not be made applicable to SO & AC activities, because it is
> complex and expensive, and there are easier alternative ways to challenge
> an AC or SO action or inaction
>

> Before our next call, please suggest edits to tracks 2 and 3 in the Google
> Doc, at
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/14XrP2QiGv04qNtn_
> EuOR3nEc6uAN2ySlpQM5f69PNI8/edit?usp=sharing
>
> —Steve

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ *

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob) | Skype: jordancarter
jordan at InternetNZ.net.nz | www.InternetNZ.nz

*A better world through a better Internet*