[Ws2-so_ac] Notes, recordings, transcript for WS2 SO/AC Accountability Meeting #11_17 November

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Fri Nov 18 19:25:35 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for WS2 SO/AC Accountability Subgroup Meeting #11 on 17 November 2016 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/mJDDAw

 A copy of the notes and action items are found below.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer
MSSI Projects & Operations Assistant
ICANN - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
 ACTION ITEMS
ACTION: reach out to Giovani to see if he could help w/ ccNSO.
ACTION: Ask Thomas Rickert to help us identify volunteers for RSSAC & SSAC

·         Suggestion to document the data captured.

·         Graphical representation of data collected (Yes/No data collection)

·         3 general areas to organize the answers: Accountability, Transparency, Participation
ACTION (subgroup): meet and suggest way forward to organize the data capture by next week
ACTION (staff): support subgroup as necessary
ACTION (staff): move topic to track 1

     *   Suggestion to form a small drafting subteam to gather and start framing the report.
     *   1st step could be to re-arrange the existing report.
ACTION (subgroup): form drafting subteam

     *   Suggestion to have a discussion early January to organize ourselves on the drafting.
     *   Suggestion to poll our subgroup participants on this topic ahead of that meeting.

Notes
0. Call Administration
·         Cheryl will update her SOI to reflect her recent appointment.
1. Review of any AI's from call #10 on October 20th
·         No outstanding action items.
2. Recap of Hyderabad Meeting
Recap by Steve DelBianco

     *   Concerns expressed around the concept of Mutual Accountability Round-Table
     *   IRP applicability to SO/AC: very little interest, but some concern (too heavy weight, too complex).
     *   Notion of the word "effectiveness": little interest on this track too.
     *   SO/AC questionnaire: we'll need to nudge them to provide answers, which could be multi-layered for some
3. Next Steps in our Work Plan
    - Methodology for review of replies to our Survey questions (from mid Dec)

     *   Questions reviewed and sent out while in Hyderabad.
     *   Need to identify who in this group is more familiar with each SO/AC to help interpret the answers.
     *   We could catalog mechanisms in place.
     *   Suggestion that a small subgroup be formed with expertise from each SO/AC to do an initial review.
     *   Volunteers:
            - Steve (GNSO)
            - Olga (GAC)
            - Seun (ALAC)
            - Michael (ASO)
ACTION: reach out to Giovani to see if he could help w/ ccNSO.
ACTION: Ask Thomas Rickert to help us identify volunteers for RSSAC & SSAC

·         Suggestion to document the data captured.

·         Graphical representation of data collected (Yes/No data collection)

·         3 general areas to organize the answers: Accountability, Transparency, Participation
ACTION (subgroup): meet and suggest way forward to organize the data capture by next week
ACTION (staff): support subgroup as necessary
    - Use of IRP track -  starting the discussion; we propose a briefing from IRP WT Chair at next call

     *   IRP was suggested in WS1 as a mechanism to end a dispute regarding SO/AC accountability.
     *   A tutorial on how the IRP works would not be relevant.
     *   Suggestion to bring in Ombudsman to get his point of view.
     *   Here is what the Bylaws say to us about IRP:  "Assess whether the IRP would also be applicable to SO and AC activities."
     *   Assumption is that this would be an adaptation of the IRP, to evaluate violation of an organization's charter.
     *   Suggestion to review the CCWG proposal to see if more clarification can be found, else it would be up to the group to clarify.
     *   Jurisdiction and costs are significant issues for IRP, that would have to be tackled.
    - Preparation for next report to CCWG and timeline adjustments required propose a small drafting team be formed

     *   Timeline presented. 1st draft of report should be drafted by early December, according to this timeline.
     *   Group agrees this timeline is too tight to be met.
ACTION (staff): move topic to track 1

     *   Suggestion to form a small drafting subteam to gather and start framing the report.
     *   1st step could be to re-arrange the existing report.
ACTION (subgroup): form drafting subteam

     *   Suggestion to have a discussion early January to organize ourselves on the drafting.
     *   Suggestion to poll our subgroup participants on this topic ahead of that meeting.
    - When and how to approach the matter of our mandate to discuss the Mutual Accountability Framework (as proposed for consideration in WS1) and any other Mutual Accountability Matters

     *   proposal to do a fresh write-up of what works and what doesn't about MAR
    - Basic foundations for our required 'Enhancing SOAC Accountability Workplan'
Item moved to next meeting
    - Our part in 2017 Public Comment documentation

     *   Item moved to next meeting
4. Next Meeting and future Meeting schedule

     *   Wednesday, 05:00 UTC
5. AOB and recap of any AI's