[Ws2-so_ac] Notes, recordings, transcript for WS2 SO/AC Accountability Subgroup Meeting #5 - 1 Sept

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Tue Sep 6 00:23:50 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for WS2 SO/AC Accountability Subgroup Meeting #5 - 1 September 2016 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/XRKsAw

A copy of the notes may be found below.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer
MSSI Projects & Operations Assistant
ICANN - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers

Notes

1. Call Admin and Roll Call / Apologies (2min- Staff)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr audio only

2. Welcome - Opening Remarks  (3min- SDB, FB, CLO)
*        Steve DelBianco: There was no clear decision on SO/AC accountability question at the CCWG plenary on last Tuesday. Will present the slides
presented at the plenary. (presentation of slides https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=59643284&preview=/59643284/61609810/update%20on%20SOAC%20Accountability%20%5BAug-2016%5D.pdf )
*        Cheryl Langdon-Orr: ccNSO has always sought non-member participantion. Other SOACs may also have other interesting and  unique mechanisms they use.
*        Farzaneh Badii: 2 questions are who are we accountable to and what are we accountable for.
*        Steve DelBianco: We know SO's are responsible to their members per the Bylaws - what we are looking at is do we need to increase this accountability.
*        Christopher Wilkinson: The Bylaws are clear. What we are talking about is the accountability of the delegates of the SOACs in the new
Empowered Community. The incremental new accountability in the new accountability scheme in ICANN.
*        Farzaneh Badii: the MAR could be used as a soft approach to share best practices. Given there are no other questions let us move to the next agenda item.
*        Matthew Shears: the issue of scope has to be agreed - Christopher's approach (I understand) seeks to look at what the new
accountability requirements post transition, but others, including myself, believe that this is about the accountability of SOs and ACs generally, not
just post transition

3. Review (brief) of last call #3 and any Action Items / Business Arising (5 min- SDB, FB)

(skipped)

4. Discussion (25 min)

- To whom are the SO/ACs accountable to

- What are the SO/ACs accountable for

- Discuss Matt's suggestion to start from track three: "Develop a detailed working plan on enhancing SO and AC accountability
taking into consideration the comments made during the public comment period on the Third Draft Proposal."

Googledoc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WTRZZJ9B3Q6BHP6AlDHmoiep8NeshNpomBNM4bBXYpA/edit?ts=57ba7a43
*        Mathew Shears: accountability has 4 dimensions: Transparency, Consultation, Review, Redress. We should consider this when
considering how to scope our work. MAR may be a distraction, we should start with the workplan.
*        Steve DelBianco: Appendix C contains a number of elements for ICANN when we began the work on WS1 and it may not be
reasonable to think we should apply this to SOACs.
*        Mathew Shears: agree Steve. But we have addressed and resolved some of these criteria in WS1 and see if they could apply
although many may not apply.
*        Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Mathew Shear's suggestion has meritt to explore these aspects and should be pursued. This could provide the basis
for several sections of our report.
*        Steve DelBianco: Our charter says Review and Develop and we have to do the reviews to identify gaps. If you have criteria
ahead of time it makes it easier to identify those potential gaps.
*        Cheryl Langdon-Orr: If we actually capture what is going on now and compare it will be very useful.
*        Athina Fragkouli: These should not be hard criteria - more points of reference.
*        Mathew Shears: We need to work with the SO and ACs if we are going to succeed.
*        Steve Delbianco: If members from the SO and ACs could come back at the next meeting to present the accountability
mechanisms in each of these which are NOT in the Bylaws.

5.  AOB / Next Meeting (5min)
*        Steve DelBianco: Adjourned.