[Ws2-so_ac] ​Please join the Work Stream 2 - SO/AC Accountability Subgroup Meeting #29 on Thursday 17th August @ 1300 UTC.

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 05:59:07 UTC 2017

Hi.

This is a personal input from me and not an input from the Board.

Regarding the responses to the Board's Track 2 and 3 comments on collective
responsibility, I think it may be useful to apply the frame of
accountability that guided the work of CCWG-Accountability (i.e.,
participation, transparency, appeal and redress). If within each SO/AC
(including for engagement in EC processes), the standards for
participation, transparency, appeals and redress apply, then the robustness
of decision-making rises and the quality of the aggregate result rises.
This to my mind would enhance "collective responsibility."

The Ombudsbeing (as an alternative to Ombudsman or woman :) can be an
additional part of the appeals and redress process as a safeguard in case
internal SO/AC processes are not sufficient or failed or preferred by
affected community members.  I think allowing for the Ombuds to be invoked
in EC-related matters is generally fine.

I believe each SO/AC sets its own standards on participation, transparency,
appeal and redress.  The collective "average" on standards could rise with
the proposed learning and sharing of best-practices across community and
SO/ACs.  What's important is that the SO/ACs are open to it and it seems
from the public comments responses that they generally are. That's a good
start.

I hope this is useful.

Best regards,

Rinalia