[Ws2-so_ac] Notes, recordings, transcript for WS2 SO/AC Accountability Subgroup Meeting #16 - 12 JAN 17

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Thu Jan 12 21:32:28 UTC 2017

Hello All,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for WS2 SO/AC Accountability Subgroup | Meeting #16 @ 13:00 UTC -  12 January 2017 will be made available here:
https://community.icann.org/x/qpnDAw

For your reference, a copy of the notes are below.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Yvette Guigneaux
Multi-Stakeholder & Strategic Initiative Asst.
ICANN
Email:  yvette.guigneaux at icann.org<mailto:yvette.guigneaux at icann.org>
Cell:  +1-310-460-8432
Skype:  yvette.guigneaux.icann

12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
Playa Vista, CA 90094

________________________________
Notes (including relevant portions of chat)
0.  Call Administration  (2-5 min CLO)
*  No audio only, roll call will be taken from the AC room.
*  No SOI updates.
*  Please test your audio, staff can get you a dial-out if anyone needs one
1. Review of any AI's from call #15 on December 15th
*  Thanks to all who were able to contribute over the break to assembling responses from the questionnaire.
*  Still accepting volunteers to join the team in charge of analyzing the responses.
*  request to change the time of 19 January @ 05:00 UTC: not possible  - the 19:00 slot is not available.
2. Updates:
       *  Input from the Survey sent to SO and AC's
*  have received substantial inputs
*  Steve DelBianco: All 7 of the responses received are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2CLsyXLvhweOVZLSWctMVhTaUU[drive.google.com]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__drive.google.com_drive_folders_0B2CLsyXLvhweOVZLSWctMVhTaUU&d=DgMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=tihW1uCnFwXm_sH9wNMai3y0xxhhePS6f2Cyln3oOJf49IevVWeqHegteH8rLf_J&m=x9oRYibnr2nQdiV7dkvyURHmEJ2YHLSi7QQmyo4XFbA&s=nmkxc6ABMfiTmZnCHVej8nc49hn9HCgiljWNkyZXOCk&e=>
*  asking Stafff to add the responses to the wiki
*  Brenda Brewer: already done. See SOAC documents here:  https://community.icann.org/x/lBWOAw[community.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_lBWOAw&d=DgMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=tihW1uCnFwXm_sH9wNMai3y0xxhhePS6f2Cyln3oOJf49IevVWeqHegteH8rLf_J&m=x9oRYibnr2nQdiV7dkvyURHmEJ2YHLSi7QQmyo4XFbA&s=9v_JuuvYty_5PZVALtwimhLdXOTqCR9LkvL5NJmZ9Uw&e=>
*  Steve DelBianco: We did not receive a response from ALAC or from RSSAC, as far as I can tell
*  Alan Greenberg: ALAC response is coming, in about 2 weeks (estimated by end of January). ALAC was busy with the review.
*  CW: I would like to get a heads up e-mail when a new response is received.
*  Cheryl: we will, probably by a message to the full list
*  Steve: do we know if RSSAC plans to provide a response? if not, could we reach out to them?
*  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): we will make a follow-up with RSSAC, viable CCWG Co-Chairs (Thomas)
*  There are a few more constituency groups that have not responded, not sure if they will.
*  Thomas Rickert: We can switch to "harassement mode" to get more responses
*  avri doria: we have a response from NCUC, not NCSG. i will look into getting one from the NCSG
ACTION (Thomas Rickert): reach out to RSSAC to find out if they will provide an answer to the SO/AC questionnaire, and get an understanding from the various GNSO subgroups of which ones plan to provide a response.
       * Any Sub Team Activities since our last call
*  sub team activities ducktale into agenda item 3
3. Discussion, current DRAFT documentations readings and review
       a) Data Capture documentation of input materials from SOAC's
*  Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina: Cherly, as I have expressed I volunteer to be part of the drafting team.
*  Steve DelBianco: Our task in Track 1 is to "review and develop recommendations" on SOAC Accountability, per this Bylaw:  Section 27.1. WORK STREAM 2, (b) The CCWG-Accountability recommended in its Supplemental Final Proposal on Work Stream 1 Recommendations to the Board, dated 23 February 2016 ("CCWG-Accountability Final Report") that the below matters be reviewed and developed following the adoption date of these Bylaws ("Work Stream 2 Matters"), in each case, to the extent set forth in the CCWG-Accountability Final Report:(iii) Supporting Organization and Advisory Committee accountability, including but not limited to improved processes for accountability, transparency, and participation that are helpful to prevent capture;
*  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): huge thanks to all who have contributed to this work so far and especially Farzaneh
*  Steve: We have quite a bit of work to do, have to read all the responses in detail, and we need to organize our work
*  Who had stepped forward to help? Steve, Olga. We don't have the people to do the work on this call.
*  Olga Cavalli - GAC Argentina: There were other volunteers, maybe they are not in the call now
*  Michael Abejuela (ASO): I am happy to assist in this work
*  CW: I volunterred for something last year, but I have a holiday blank as to what exactly I was supposed to do.
*  Can staff go back to previous notes to see who else had volunteered?

*  Steve: any comments from the group on the work that was done by the drafting team so far?
*  Alan: we shouldn't get too much in the details in our recommendations, the intent is more important than the implementation.
* Michael Abejuela (ASO): We should be careful on taking the stance of "recommending" vs. stating an observation and stating a principle of accountability for which we strive. Agree with Alan that it should not be a mandate particularly in implementation of a particular principle.
*  Steve: We should be explicit in what was reported. For example, with regards to decision appeal mechanisms, we could 1) identify which SO/AC have any, and which don't, 2) from there we could make the recommendation that those who don't have one consider implementing one.
*  Cheryl: we need to carefully weigh in if our recommendations are implementable.

*  Consitutency groups each have a charter. We can get inputs from these charters.
*  avri doria: the NCSG chater is at: <https://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/ncsg-charter-05may11-en.pdf>[gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_improvements_ncsg-2Dcharter-2D05may11-2Den.pdf-253E&d=DgMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=tihW1uCnFwXm_sH9wNMai3y0xxhhePS6f2Cyln3oOJf49IevVWeqHegteH8rLf_J&m=x9oRYibnr2nQdiV7dkvyURHmEJ2YHLSi7QQmyo4XFbA&s=R415jdLRFbQzPXKiNWok0FTVTZJX7LnRzuJLjCOVfLw&e=>
*  Sebastien (ALAC): http://www.npoc.org/media/files/NPOC_Charter_Approved_06-24-2011.pdf[npoc.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.npoc.org_media_files_NPOC-5FCharter-5FApproved-5F06-2D24-2D2011.pdf&d=DgMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=tihW1uCnFwXm_sH9wNMai3y0xxhhePS6f2Cyln3oOJf49IevVWeqHegteH8rLf_J&m=x9oRYibnr2nQdiV7dkvyURHmEJ2YHLSi7QQmyo4XFbA&s=NGetKTxW-IlPDFWfs8UpMWCPpslT1pYHNUwBdkkMRl4&e=>
       b) Overall Reporting See https://docs.google.com/document/d/14XrP2QiGv04qNtn_EuOR3nEc6uAN2ySlpQM5f69PNI8/edit?usp=sharing[docs.google.com][docs.google.com<https://docs.google.com/document/d/14XrP2QiGv04qNtn_EuOR3nEc6uAN2ySlpQM5f69PNI8/edit?usp=sharing%5bdocs.google.com%5d%5bdocs.google.com>]
         - track 1. Review and discuss time line and process for Drafting ST1 to conduct Data Capture and Develop Recommendations to improve SO and AC processes for accountability, transparency, and participation that are helpful to prevent capture.
         - track 2.  Evaluate the proposed "Mutual Accountability Roundtable" to assess its viability and, if viable, undertake the necessary actions to implement it.  The preliminary conclusion in the doc on page 4
         - track 3.  Assess whether the Independent Review Process (IRP) should be applied to SO & AC activities.------ The preliminary conclusion in the doc on page 5 -----> Discussion regarding this outcome and CCWG Plenary.
*  Cheryl: Only 7 weeks left before Copenhagen. We would like to have a document ready in advance to send to the CCWG, in order to receive guidance from the plenary during the F2F meeting. Overall reporting document needs to continue to be updated and worked on, not only during these calls but also in between.
*  CW: since I shall leave the call early, please note lthat under Track 2 (MART) and Track 3 (IRP), my point of view is reflected in the draft report, so I would not support substantive amendment.
4. Next Meeting and future Meeting schedule
*  19 January @ 05:00 UTC
*  26 January @ 13:00 UTC
*  02 February @ 19:00 UTC
*  09 February @ 05:00 UTC