[Ws2-so_ac] Notes, recordings and transcript for SOAC Subgroup Meeting # 18 | 26 January

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Thu Jan 26 22:45:03 UTC 2017

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2 SO/AC Subgroup Meeting #18 – 26 January 2017 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/9a-DAw

A copy of the notes may be found below.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer
MSSI Projects & Operations Assistant
ICANN - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers

Notes (including relevant parts of chat)
0.  Call Administration
Cheryl Langdon-Orr: no updates to SOIs.
1. Review of any AI's from call #16 on January 12th @1300 UTC  (2-5 min) CLO) see  https://community.icann.org/x/FJTDAw[community.icann.org]
Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (none)
2. Any Updates:
Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (none)
3. Discussion, current DRAFT documentations, readings and review.
a) Data Capture documentation of input materials from SOAC's - As agreed in last week's call, while exploring methodology, we will review and discuss, the sample topic from this track from the data capture exercise, 'Transparency' see reference drafts attached to the email from Steve DelBianco received to list https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ws2-so_ac earlier today.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Exploration of methodology using one topic only.
Alan Greenberg: Response from ALAC has not been approved by the ALAC.
Steve DelBianco: Deep dive on Transparency Mechanisms (document). Hope this will provide a method for all aspects of this work. Not trying to point out failings of any SO or AC - its about finding the best practices. (Review of document).
Alan Greenberg: looking at the list. items included were based on interpretations of the questions. If we were looking vs capture we should of mentioned that.
Steve DelBianco: I note that we are supplementing this with our independent research to match the facts from all responses. As to the second point - the text notes Capture. Transparency can help identify capture - but cannot prevent it.
Alan Greenberg: After this discussion, I can now review my responses to tailor them to these objectives.
Steve DelBianco: We are open to supplementary information coming in.
Kavouss Arasteh: Internal or external capture?
Steve DelBianco: Would seem to be mostly Internal capture but not limited to this.
Alan Greenberg: Steve, all I was saying that as completing the answers, that was NOT something I focused on DESPITE the Bylaw and my history with this project. It was not something I focused on.
matthew shears: we should see this as iterative
Alan Greenberg: Once something has been vetted, going back and revising may be problematic - not related to this group's rules.
Steve DelBianco: Missing RSSAC.
Kavouss Arasteh: should mention that this internal capture is not addressing Sress Test 18. Which review are you referring to, self review or different?
Steve DelBianco: On page 3 section 4.4 of Bylaws says its an independent review.
Kavouss Arasteh: Tks ,then emphasize that in our report
 Kavouss Arasteh: Pls clarfy the independent process

Greg Shatan: Concerned about the need for full consensus being part of capture.
Steve DelBianco: discussion of draft recommendations in document. These are meant to be Best Practices for the SOACs where they are free to implement and how to implement these. (presentation of the 6 draft recommendations).
Rinalia Abdul Rahim: I personally like the approach of establishing best practices on transparency as a guide/benchmark for SO/ACs. Some SO/ACs are likely to exceed the baseline, and that is fine.
jorge villa (ASO): +1 Rinalia
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): I personally agree with you Rinalia
jorge villa (ASO): All the SO/ACs are different in structure, composition, interests and functioning. The best practices approach might provide a common ground on the recommended aspects.
Farzaneh Badii: I like how the recommendations on transparency is done on page 3
matthew shears: agree with the approach Steve - sets a good precedent for the work going forward
Farzaneh Badii: it is to the point, does not call out on any group
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): all ALAC, RALO and At-Large  meetings unless specifically declared as going into 'camera' for closed to Members only with declared reason are Open, Recorded ( often in several language options) Transcripts made and where relevant minuted... And all are published to public wki and lists. SOACs should be publish what they are supposed to do.
Alan Greenberg: We even have interpretation for meetings where it is not actually needed so the others can later listen or read.
Steve DelBianco: CLO SOACs should publish the details of their transparency requirements. Will add recommendation on open or closed meeting. Would request more volunteers to do this for the other two points.
Farzaneh Badii: shall we work on outreach next?
Farzaneh Badii: as a part of participation
Farzaneh Badii: I think those that function differently can take these recs or leave it
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): seems a good suggestion Farzi we will check with the group
Julf Helsingius: Yes, there are (justified) exceptions
Alan Greenberg: We need to somehow say that the best practices for some circumstances where it could not work at all.
Farzaneh Badii: we are not in charge of implementation if they see the recs are not fit, they don't have to do it
Steve DelBianco: subject to specific and documented Limitations for some group.
Alan Greenberg: We cannot make it a requirement if they cannot.
avri doria: apologies for not having sent in the GNSO-NCSG data before now.  Just sent it to Steve.
Alan Greenberg: It is not OUR job, but that job description might be written one day.
Alan Greenberg: Steve, in light of this meeting, I will have a revised version before the end of the day, so perhaps wait until you see that to integrate ALAC.
Steve DelBianco: okay Alan.  I will add this Transparency bit to the Google Doc next
jorge villa (ASO): In the world of network operations, the best practices are recommendations (based on the experience of the community). no one has the obligation of do everything includes on the best practices recommendations. We asume it as main topics to consider (if possible).
Cheryl Langdon-Orr: this will need to be continued and would ask more join the drafting teams. FB has suggested we continue with this approach
Steve DelBianco: I think that matches our concept here, Jorge
Julf Helsingius: I agree
Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Is everyone agreeing that Outreach be our topic for our next call? (no objections). Let us remember to treat these documents as living documents.
Steve DelBianco: where Outreach is an activity that is an aspect of participation
Farzaneh Badii: yes :)
Steve DelBianco: Farzi -- would you be able to lead that drafting?
Farzaneh Badii: I will
4. Next Meeting and future Meeting schedule
·  02 February @ 19:00 UTC
·  09 February @ 05:00 UTC
·  16 February @ 13:00 UTC
·  02 March @ 05:00 UTC