[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for Accountability Legal Subteam - 01 April

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Wed Apr 1 21:56:44 UTC 2015

Dear all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CCWG Accountability LEGAL SubTeam call on 01 April
will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=52894270

Action Items

ACTION ITEM: Call duration to be adjusted -> 120 min - 1 hour (15:00-16:00 UTC) subteam members - 1h
(16:00-17:00 UTC) lawyers

ACTION ITEM Circulate templates of mechanisms to lawyers

ACTION ITEM - Circulate jurisdiction paper for information

ACTION ITEM: Schedule a legal subteam call for 1 April - 20:00-21:00 UTC

Notes

These high-level notes were prepared to help you navigate through content of the call and do not
substitute in any way the transcript

Methodology

S&A suggestions: context important for ability to do research. Mechanism for community to agree on
questions and consolidate them would be useful. Helpful to have process where law firms coordinate
for overlapping questions for efficiency purposes.

--> Memorandums will be filed on the wiki

--> Legal executive subteam to ensure there is no duplication

--> Coordination between law firms is desirable

--> Suggestion to add section in legal scoping document to record questions

--> Legal executive team to set order in questions

--> Q&A exercise or holistic structure?

--> Timeline to be considered

--> Context to be provided

--> Consider triage to ensure efficiency

CONCLUSION: methods have been established (see wiki). All questions will be assigned to lawyers
through memorandums. No need to address questions outside memorandum. Legal subteam should consider
120-minute calls. Scoping document will be the main document of reference - all questions assigned
to lawyers will be inserted into legal scoping document for records. Questions will be posted on
wiki page. Clarify questions prior to responding.

ACTION ITEM: Call duration to be adjusted -> 120 min - 1 hour (15:00-16:00 UTC) subteam members - 1h
(16:00-17:00 UTC) lawyers

---

Review of Community Empowerment

We are looking for advice on our proposals (legally viable or not), not for a redesign. Need to know
what structural changes are needed - if any - to implement powers and mechanisms we want in place.

Outline next steps to meet goals:

1) Subteam to review documents from A&C - S&A

2) Ask how we may operationalize

ACTION ITEM Circulate templates of mechanisms to lawyers

Request to prioritize and narrow down areas to explore.

Board removal

Budget approval

Bylaws approval

Golden Bylaws

Independent Review Panel

Reconsideration Process

Jurisdiction

- Would help to focus on California law and avoid looking across globe.

- Jurisdiction refers to HQs.

- No political discussion - focusing on legal advice instead.

--> Jurisdiction will be addressed in WS2, as needed

ACTION ITEM - Circulate jurisdiction paper for information

Liability

Supervisory Board: what would it entail in terms of liability? Input would be welcome.

Lawyers to look at templates we are discussing so as to identify any issues we would be facing.

Legal subteam to sort out point of orders on list.

How do we may independent review panel binding? Framework around fundamental bylaws

ACTION ITEM: Schedule a legal subteam call for 1 April - 20:00-21:00 UTC