[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for Accountability Legal Subteam - 01 April 20:00 UTC

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Wed Apr 1 22:22:05 UTC 2015

Dear all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CCWG Accountability LEGAL SubTeam #9 call on 01 April
at 20:00 UTC will be available here:
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=52895323

Action Items

ACTION ITEM: Inform the law firms of this decision.

ACTION ITEM Compile, prioritize questions and fit them into proposals to provide greater context to
lawyers and build on holistic view.

Notes

These high-level notes were prepared to help you navigate through content of the call and do not
substitute in any way the transcript

Chat sessions are being archived and follow the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior:
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability/expected-standards>
http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability/expected-standards

CCWG-ACCT LEGAL SUBTEAM CALL #9

Working with counsel

Channeling questions raised in a memorandum has been successful so far but need to provide
additional detail and context to lawyers.

Suggestion to assign Sidley & Austin as lead - their involvement in CWG work would allow for
holistic view.

If we ask for one voice, we will minimize input but will make coordination easier.

Hybrid: Sidley & Austin to lead - and ask Adler & Colvin's views on specific matters.

Suggestion to give law firms flexibility to present to legal subteam.

Suggestion to have S&A (Holly) coordinate legal advice but would be helpful to know where there is a
dissenting view.

Second law firm could confirm or raise other point of view.

CONCLUSION: Have S&A lead "the coordinating firm" - unify voice of lawyers - state when dissenting
views and elaborate on rationale for legal subteam consideration.

ACTION ITEM: Inform the law firms of this decision.

Dealing with Questions

- Gather questions and compile them into a single document (legal scoping document).

- Lawyers should not be answering questions outside of memorandum but should be aware of these
questions.

-#1 priority is to work with WPs to ensure we are putting a legally viable proposal together (having
measures pros & cons)/

- Concrete suggestions, mechanisms and associated structures need to be submitted to legal advisors:
if adjustments are needed, how long it would take etc/

ACTION ITEM Compile, prioritize questions and fit them into proposals to provide greater context to
lawyers and build on holistic view.

- Lawyers to join WP, CCWG calls as deemed appropriate.

- Rapporteurs to flag issues for lawyers.

Timeline

Legal input - mid Feb->mid-Sept.

CONCLUSIONS

- Inform Sidley & Austin of coordinating firm role.

- We will compile, prioritize and classify questions, building a contextual document.

- We will be focusing on WP's work - templates will be circulated to lawyers.

- Coordinate with WPs to ensure on right track.