[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for CCWG ACCT Session #18 31 March

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Mon Apr 6 11:20:26 UTC 2015

> Dear Eberhard
>
> I am shocked and dismayed that you don’t read all of my blog posts on the Lawfare Blog, where I wrote all about it …. J

Paul,

Your blog posts, of course, are or should be required reading for all earthlings. We may just need to require them to be placed on the home page of all internet users in the next go round of contracts. ;)

While, as you point out, the USA has been a good steward in relation to allowing gTld'd from countries it has blacklisted in other venues to exist  it's recent action towards the Democratic People's Republic of Korea gives concern. According to the New York Times ( http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/world/asia/us-asks-china-to-help-rein-in-korean-hackers.html?_r=0 ) the United States government asked China to "block North Koreas" access to the Internet". No, the US did not remove .kp from the root, the utility of doing so being questionable due to the small DPRK presence at that location, but an attempt to cut an entire nation off of the Internet by the country where the root zone file is located and controlled  is worrisome. It opens the question that when freed from its current stewardship role will the US be more aggressive in asserting its perceived self interest in matters online? I don't have the answer to that question, I merely raise it with some concern.

Sent from my iPad