[CCWG-ACCT] Follow up from the last CCWG call

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Tue Apr 7 20:50:36 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> wrote:

> ​The circular nature of the RR process is a significant concern.  It is
> almost Kafka-esque.

Of course, that's the re part of reconsideration.

My impression is that one of the problems is that reconsideration takes
place largely without much real new input for the Board to consider. The
aggrieved party merely re-argues its case before the same people that made
the initial decision. No surprise then that over 95% of reconsideration
requests are unsuccessful.

One approach to change this would be to include, at the Requestor's option,
an intermediary process where the Ombudsman could look at the Request and
make a recommendation to the Board for action/inaction. The basis of the
recommendation would need to be stated (we perhaps would need to expand the
remit of the Ombudsman, in this instance, to do so) and rather short time
limits would need to be involved so decisions are reached in a reasonable
timeframe, but it would be a way to get the contentious issue before a set
of independent eyes before it reverts back to the Board. A bit less
Kafka-esque and hopefully enough to make the reconsideration process as bit
less predictable in terms of outcome and a better mechanism for true
accountability.

Ed