[CCWG-ACCT] Follow up from the last CCWG call

Chris LaHatte chris.lahatte at icann.org
Wed Apr 8 03:38:21 UTC 2015

I have had a role in reconsideration requests for some time. It has become the practice of the BGC in issuing a decision, to suggest to the parties that if they are unhappy with the process then they can bring the matter to me as the ombudsman. My role is of course limited to examining issues of fairness in the process. I do not have any jurisdiction, and nor should I have any, in examining the merits of any decision made by the BGC on a reconsideration. What I look at is whether the parties had proper opportunities to explain their grievance, and whether this was processed by the BGC in accordance with rules of natural justice. By this I mean whether the parties had a full opportunity to be heard, whether there was any material not disclosed to the parties but possibly used by the BGC in coming to a decision, whether there were any issues of bias and similar issues.

The problem with designing a dispute resolution system is that you need to decide at an entry-level, what sort of disputes should qualify. I am not sure there is much debate or discussion on the range of issues which would qualify. This has some effect on my role as ombudsman, because I have a mandate to deal with the particular issues of fairness and delay within the community. Defining those terms has not always been simple. But other dispute resolution issues may not be appropriate for an ombudsman. The gateway for any system must therefore take into account the range of disputes and the appropriate forum. The ombudsman model, for example, uses informality, confidentiality, neutrality and investigates facts. There is considerable emphasis on the use of mediation and shuttle diplomacy and I am limited to making a recommendation. I cannot issue a binding decision. These are critical elements of any ombudsman office, because we adhere to the model used by the International Ombudsman Association, a professional body of ombudsman.

If therefore the accountability examination is to review the way in which dispute resolution is handled within the ICANN community, we need to consider the way in which disputes are categorised, and the appropriate forum and procedure. If the ombudsman is to have a greater role, this needs to be considered in the context of the ombudsman model which I refer to briefly above. Disputes not suitable for the ombudsman need to be considered and outlined, and an appropriate procedure and forum created for them. The ombudsman would still have a role in ensuring that fairness in the process of the other forms of dispute resolution procedure continues to be observed.

Please excuse this longer exchange, but I am anxious to ensure that people understand my role and function and mandate.

Chris LaHatte

Ombudsman

Blog  https://omblog.icann.org/

Webpage http://www.icann.org/en/help/ombudsman

Confidentiality

All matters brought before the Ombudsman shall be treated as confidential.  The Ombudsman shall also take all reasonable steps necessary to preserve the privacy of, and to avoid harm to, those parties not involved in the complaint being investigated by the Ombudsman.The Ombudsman shall only make inquiries about, or advise staff or Board members of the existence and identity of, a complainant in order to further the resolution of the complaint.  The Ombudsman shall take all reasonable steps necessary to ensure that if staff and Board members are made aware of the existence and identity of a complainant, they agree to maintain the confidential nature of such information, except as necessary to further the resolution of a complaint