[CCWG-ACCT] Reconsideration Request question

Jacob Malthouse jacob at bigroom.ca
Thu Apr 9 18:18:15 UTC 2015

Dear all,

If the IRP is going to be greatly improved by a standing panel, streamlined
process, lower cost, and greater accessibility, are there implications for
other accountability processes?

Is it worth considering whether the ICANN community would benefit from
removing the reconsideration request process altogether?

The reconsideration request process basically asks the same people who made
a decision to take another look at it. That doesn't really strike me as an
actual accountability mechanism, but rather more like a second kick at the
can.

Person: "Officer, I'm sorry I didn't see the school zone. Can you give me a
pass?"

Officer: "No."

Person (reconsideration request): "Please?"

Officer: "No."

Basically, I am struggling to assess the benefit in the context of the new
accountability regime that is developing.

All too often groups like this just layer on processes. Perhaps we have a
chance to eliminate some red-tape here for the benefit of all.

Best, Jacob.