[CCWG-ACCT] Clarification on 'membership' - not individual

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Mon Apr 13 22:14:50 UTC 2015

dear all

I just wanted to make a comment as rapporteur for the community empowerment
working party.

There is some discussion outside our ccwg and outside our working
party that the discussion of membership as an option to empower the
community could lead to an Individualised membership system, where
interested members of the public would join ICANN.

That is not right.

That is not what is on the table.

Membership might be a vehicle to give ICANN's multi stakeholder community
more power within ICANN. It would do that through structures that relate to
ICANN as it is today, a collection of constituencies organised through SOs
and ACs.

The organisation will remain a bottom up, multistakeholder one. The work
through SOs and ACs will continue.

Nobody has proposed sweeping this away and replacing it with individual
membership, recruitment drives, and so on.

Trust this helps.

Cheers
Jordan

Jordan Carter