[CCWG-ACCT] Quality of our proposal will suffer from this pace that leaves no time for consideration and meaningful evaluation

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Tue Apr 14 01:21:42 UTC 2015

I must join in the chorus of voices saying that this compressed timeline is not going to produce a quality proposal.  Sure, we can slap something together, which only a small handful have thought about, but we won't get anywhere close to doing our best work, or even a good proposal at this pace.

We just don't have the time to think through all of the issues that must be thought through and to have answers to the questions that are foundational to the rest of our work.  The confusion about what is actually being proposed and then advice that doesn't address what is under consideration is but one example of how the quality of our work is suffering by the frenetic pace.

Either this group is in charge of its own processes, or it isn't.  It is beginning to look like the group is not in control, as imaginary imposed "deadlines" are the main driving consideration for us now.  Not quality.  This is a grave mistake.  We simply must take the time to think all of this through and engage with the community on these crucial matters.  That is the only way to get a quality result.  The rush job to meet imaginary deadlines is creating greater problems every day and will only exacerbate as we go forward.

I remain committed to participating in a dozen or so calls a week, but I'm under no illusion that this last-minute cram job will be any more effective at building global governance institutions than it is to college freshman learning on the night before their final exam.

Best,
Robin