[CCWG-ACCT] Another Twist to Law, Jurisdiction and Accountability

Samantha Eisner Samantha.Eisner at icann.org
Wed Apr 15 00:35:45 UTC 2015

Dear Akinbo -

ICANN’s role in relation to any gTLD registry is over the enforcement of the registry’s contract with ICANN.  In your question below, ICANN would typically only get involved if there was a complaint that the registry was violating the terms of its agreement with ICANN. The agreements for the gTLDs delegated through the New gTLD Program do not include any terms relating to minimum or maximum prices for registrations; ICANN similarly does not have contractual terms on the pricing practices of its accredited registrars. The ability for registered name holders to be sued for the content they have on their website is also not something that ICANN has a say in.  There are, however, avenues that are made available, such as the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Process, a policy developed by the ICANN community (though ICANN is not a party to UDRP proceedings) as well as some of the other resolution processes that were developed within the New gTLD Program that could be applicable to particular types of complaints or disputes.

Best,

Samantha