[CCWG-ACCT] Fadi Chehade Written Responses to Senate Questions

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Mon Apr 20 11:31:10 UTC 2015

Hello Malcolm,

> I didn't see the oral hearing, but I wouldn't characterise this written
> document as 'Of all the questions that could be asked they really do
> seem to be focused on the question of HQ location.'.

Three Senators asked written questions post hearing. The lead question for
two of the three Senators focused on the location of ICANN's headquarters.
This after the oral hearing in which Fadi assured the Senators that ICANN's
jurisdiction would remain in the United Stares. To me, this suggests a
focus of the Senate Commerce committee on the location of ICANN's
headquarters.

Representative Sean Duffy has compiled a list of questions relating to the
transition which he has transmitted to the Chair of the House Judiciary
Committee concurrently requesting House hearings on the matter. A copy of
that letter is attached. Please note that here, again, concerns regarding
First Amendment protections post transition are expressed, specifically
"What First Amendment functions will there be should IANA functions
transition to ICANN?". Notwithstanding the assumption regarding the loci of
the transition I'd suggest this is something we do need to further discuss
in the context of our accountability efforts.

Best,

Ed Morris