[CCWG-ACCT] Legal question

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Tue Apr 21 10:16:29 UTC 2015

Thanks Chris, no apologies necessary...this is exactly the kind of dialogue needed to advance our work.

Can you be more explicit about the "significant number of sacrifices that would need to be made in a membership scenario" that ccTLDs face? Particularly if any are unique to ccTLDs?

Sacrifices may be needed (including from the Board) if we are to accomplish the community's broader goal of ensuring the ICANN Board and Staff are truly accountable to the ICANN community for the next decade. As such, it would be good to know, as early as possible, what those sacrifices might be.

In simple terms, I agree that determining what can and cannot be accomplished within the existing structure is a worthwhile exercise and will help to inform the community.

Based on our work and the relevant independent legal analysis to date, it appears to me that the current construct has significant gaps and shortcomings and won't deliver on our goals, but I support seeking further advice on the topic from our independent legal advisors.

Thanks and regards,
Keith