[CCWG-ACCT] [Acct-Legal] Accountability questions to law firms

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Thu Apr 23 23:12:38 UTC 2015

Dear Co-Chairs,

I would note that every one of us has an interest in the outcome of these proceedings, or we wouldn't be participating and spending our precious time and resources.

Some of us are here for personal interest, some professional, some on behalf of our employers or clients. Many of us are participating for a combination of reasons.

Verisign unquestionably has a strong interest in an accountable ICANN. No one who has observed my engagement in this process for the last 12 months could dispute that. For that I make no apologies.

In the same way, I do not expect our colleague to apologize for participating in this process to protect his own personal, property and financial interests and to address concerns about a possible future revocation of his ccTLD.

Neither are "ulterior motives" as our colleague characterized. I am employed by a corporation to ensure its goals are achieved. I am also personally and professionally invested in the successful outcome of this process for the ICANN community. Our colleague is self-employed and is seeking to achieve his own goals for his own reasons. One is not more pure than the other.

No one should be criticized or demonized for pursuing and promoting their interests in a collaborative endeavor. That's what the multi-stakeholder model is all about.

Regards,
Keith

Sent from my iPhone