[CCWG-ACCT] Nomcom as a UA - legal question

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Apr 24 22:51:33 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am confused as to how this works.  Please forgive my questions.  This
has less to do with the proposal I made then with trying to understand
the nature of a UA.  I had not realized until yesterday that the
membership model was as popular as it has been defined to be.  I had
also not realized that we were down to membership or designator model as
our only choices until today.

What qualifies the Nomcom as an association?  It can't be the people, as
there is no continuity, except among the staff. and  some overlap in
chairs as last year's chair, this years' chair and next year's possible
chair,  sit togehter each year. I guess that  is a bit of natural person
continuity.  Is that chair thread significant?

Or is that it is always formed according to same bylaw, even if all of
the people are different, that is a qualifying mark? Is being a differnt
instantiation of the same process sufficient to define a UA, even if
there is no continuity of natural persons?

thanks

avrl

Note: I would have sent this to the legal list, but i never managed to
get subscribed that one as far as I can tell.

---