[CCWG-ACCT] the power to enforce AOC type (6.7) recommendations

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Apr 26 18:40:29 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Does that help?

Apologies, but I think I remain confused.

I understand that we still have the ultimate accountability function.
Still don't know if there is any other power.

First, as far as I remember, we did not get the Power to force a
decision against complete inaction.

Also I do not believe that it would be the case that there was complete
inaction.  I am sure that the Board would review the various
recommendations of the AOC type review teams.  Most reviews contain many
recommendations, and the Board could accept some and reject others.

> because once the board has made a decision, we are putting in
> accountability mechanisms to question that decision

Do you mean reconsideration and IRP?

thanks
avri

On 26-Apr-15 14:03, Jonathan Zuck wrote:

> Avri,
>
> I completely agree that this is new obligation and that it must find
> its way into the bylaws.
>

> As for your other question, I think it’s not a question of giving
> power to a review team but rather to the community to induce the board
> to accept recommendations from a review team.
>

> To accomplish that, all we need to do an ensure that the board
> actually considers the recommendations and makes a decision about
> them, any decision because once the board has made a decision, we are
> putting in accountability mechanisms to question that decision. The
> whole that currently exist is in cases of complete /inaction/ on the
> part of the board.
>

> The best analogy I think can of at the moment is the FTC.  The FTC has
> the ability to hold companies to their promises. Getting companies to
> post privacy policies is the equivalent of getting them to promise
> something at which point, they are then subject to FTC review.
>

> Does that help?
>
> Jonathan

---