[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding approval process for AoC review team recommendations

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Mon Apr 27 17:20:58 UTC 2015

Hello Jordan,

>>  PROPOSED:  "The final output of all reviews will be published for public comment. The Board shall consider the recommendations and the public comments, and within six months of receipt of the recommendations will either approve and begin implementation, or explain the reasons in each case where there is a recommendation it wishes to defer or not implement.

That pretty much describes current practice.   Another step that we discussed in the Board workshop was also engaging the members of the review team if there are any plans to defer or not implement a recommendations.

One thing that we are considering at a Board level is the overall costs of implementation of some of the recommendations and their impact on budgets.   Some recommendations kick off large pieces of work for volunteers and those volunteer resources are  finite as well.      We repeatedly hear of volunteer burn-out at ICANN.

Going forward it would be great if review teams prioritised recommendations, or made recommendations in the context of a budget envelope (which might be a combination of financial and volunteer hours).      As part of the review reports it would be useful to consider the financial and volunteer resources required to implement - at least as a first level estimate.

During our board workshop on the weekend - I recommend that staff provide some estimate of resources expended to implement recommendations from previous reviews.   This should also include some estimates of the number of hours of volunteer time involved as well.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin