[CCWG-ACCT] the power to enforce AOC type (6.7) recommendations

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Apr 29 02:25:43 UTC 2015

Hello Malcolm,

>>  As for Thomas' suggestion of a mandatory public comment period, I support that too, but not exceptionally for ATRT-type work. I hope that our core values will establish a strong norm that a public comment period, and usually one of a significant time (say, three months rather than three weeks), should be the usual requirement for any major piece of work. If it's worth establishing a task force to work on it for a year, it's certainly worth asking the community for a quarter.

There is a section in the by-laws about public comment -  particularly for Policy actions:

"Section 6. NOTICE AND COMMENT ON POLICY ACTIONS

 With respect to any policies that are being considered by the Board for adoption that substantially affect the operation of the Internet or third parties, including the imposition of any fees or charges, ICANN shall:

	a. provide public notice on the Website explaining what policies are being considered for adoption and why, at least twenty-one days (and if practical, earlier) prior to any action by the Board;

	b. provide a reasonable opportunity for parties to comment on the adoption of the proposed policies, to see the comments of others, and to reply to those comments, prior to any action by the Board; and

	c. in those cases where the policy action affects public policy concerns, to request the opinion of the Governmental Advisory Committee and take duly into account any advice timely presented by the Governmental Advisory Committee on its own initiative or at the Board's request."

You could enhance this section with respect to actions with respect to recommendations from review teams or advisory committees.

Certainly the existing practice of the Board is to put out any topics where a major change is envisaged for public comment.   I would be interested if people have examples of major changes recently that didn't go out for public comment .

The bylaws would then be enforced via the accountability mechanisms.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin